I had to come-up with some recipes for a stake cookbook we’re doing. I thought long and hard about recipes that my family LOVES and I came-up with these 10. I hope you find them useful. I do have them as a word document, so if you’d like it emailed to you just leave me a comment with your address!
Loosely based off America’s Test Kitchen recipe, with a bit of tweeking. We like ours with chedder cheese and a little raw onion.
• 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 onion, chopped fine
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 small can tomato paste
• 2 tablespoons chili powder
• 1 tablespoon dried oregano
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
• 1 cup water
• 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
• 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
• 1 1/2 lbs 85% lean ground beef
1. Saute onion in oil until soft and edges are beginning to brown – about 8 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, oregano, cinnamon, salt, pepper and allspice. Stir for about a minute until spices are fragrant.
2. Add broth, tomato sauce, vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer, being sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
3. Add meat to sauce. Use a potato masher to break meat up into small pieces. Simmer just 15 minutes.
4. Serve chili over spaghetti. For “chili five ways,” top with diced raw onion, rinsed and drained cannellini beans or kidney beans and shredded sharp cheddar.
Makes 4 8/4 inch loaves.
7 c. whole wheat flour (grind your own if you have a wheat grinder)
2/3 c. vital wheat gluten
2 1/2 T. instant yeast
5 c. steaming hot water (120-130 F)
2 T. salt
2/3 c. oil
2/3 c. honey or 1 c. sugar (I like honey the best!)
2 1/2 T. bottled lemon juice
5 c. whole wheat flour
Mix together the first three ingredients in your mixer with a dough hook. Add water all at once and mix for 1 minute; cover and let rest for 10 minutes (this is called sponging). Add salt, oil, honey or sugar, and lemon juice and beat for 1 minute. Add last flour, 1 cup at a time, beating between each cup. Beat for about 6-10 minutes until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. This makes very soft dough.
Pre-heat oven for 1 minute to lukewarm and turn off. Turn dough onto oiled counter top; divide, shape into loaves place in oiled bread pans. Let rise in warm oven for 10-15 minutes until dough reaches top of pan. Do not remove bread from oven; turn oven to 350 F and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on racks. This recipe can be halved to make 2 loaves.
** Check your mixer’s instructions manual. I had to ¾ this recipe since mine doesn’t allow this much whole wheat flour.
**Another tip..when the dough is put into the bread pans, squish the dough softly into the corners of your bread loaf pans. This will make your bread cook more evenly and not have the large lump in the middle of your loaf.
• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 1/3 cup masa harina
• 1/4 cup water
• 1 1/2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
• 1/4 cup cornmeal
• 1/3 cup white sugar
• 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. In a medium bowl beat butter until it is creamy. Add the Mexican corn flour and water and beat until well mixed.
2. Using a food processor, process thawed corn, but leave chunky. Stir into the butter mixture.
3. In a separate bowl, mix cornmeal, sugar, cream, salt, and baking powder. Add to corn flour mixture and stir to combine. Pour batter into an ungreased 8×8 inch baking pan. Smooth batter and cover with aluminum foil. Place pan into a 9×13 inch baking dish that is filled a third of the way with water.
4. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven F (175 degrees C) oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Use an ice cream scoop for easy removal from pan.
4-5 chicken breasts (I often use drumsticks or thighs and take the skin off because they’re cheaper)
1 can chunk or tidbit pineapple, reserve juice for later
½ to ¾ cup ketchup
1 ½ cups brown sugar
2 Tbsp. prepared mustard
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice
1 onion chopped
Salt and pepper
1. Brown chicken (optional).
2. Place in 9×13 glass pan.
3. Pour sauce over top.
4. Bake at 325 degrees, covered, for about 45 minutes.
5. Uncover and bake 20 more minutes.
6. Let sit 5-10 minutes and sauce will thicken.
7. Serve over rice.
• 2 strips bacon, cooked until crispy, crumbled, bacon fat reserved
• 1/4 cup chopped onion
• 1 egg
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 lemon, zested
• 1 (14-ounce) can wild salmon, checked for large bones
• 1 baked or boiled russet potato, peeled, and fluffed with a fork
• 1/4 cup bread crumbs
• 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon fat in a small saute pan over low heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Cool the onions for a bit.
Mix the bacon, onion, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, and lemon zest in a bowl. Add the salmon and potato, mixing gently after each addition. Form the mixture into 12 small patties. In a shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and pepper, to taste. Coat the patties in the bread crumb topping. Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat, and cook the salmon cakes in batches until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add more oil, as necessary. Arrange on a serving platter and serve.
• 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
• 1 (8 ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
• 1 (12 ounce) container small curd cottage cheese
• 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 cup dry bread crumbs
• 1/4 cup butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil, add pasta, and cook until done; drain.
2. In 9×13 inch baking dish, stir together macaroni, shredded Cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle topping over macaroni mixture.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is golden.
• 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
• 1/4 cup butter, softened
• 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
• 2 pounds tilapia fillets
1. Preheat your oven’s broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside.
3. Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish.
• 1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles
• 1/4 cup chopped onion
• 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
• 1 cup frozen green peas
• 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained
• 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
• 1/2 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
• 1 cup crushed potato chips
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
3. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix noodles, onion, 1 cup cheese, peas, tuna, soup and mushrooms. Transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish, and top with potato chip crumbs and remaining 1 cup cheese.
4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is bubbly.
• 9 ounce package of pretzels
• 3 tablespoons white sugar
• 1-3/4 stick butter
• 8 ounce package cream cheese softened
• 1 cup white sugar
• 8 ounces frozen whipped topping
• 1 large package strawberry gelatin
• 2 cups hot water
• 20 ounces frozen strawberries
How to make it
• Crush pretzels either in blender or food processor then add 3 tablespoon sugar.
• Mix pretzels and sugar with melted butter.
• Press in glass rectangular baking dish and bake at 375 for 8 minutes then cool well.
• Mix cream cheese with one cup sugar and mix well.
• Add whipped topping and pour over crust.
• Mix gelatin with hot water then add the frozen strawberries.
• When cool pour over filling and refrigerate for several hours.