Making the Decision

Happy: Simple Steps to Get the Most Out of LifeToday, I looked at my life and decided I needed to make the decision to be happy.

Normally I’ve always had a lot to look forward to, good friends, time with family…

But as I look out, I mostly see pain (the tailbone variety), Drew doing marching band and me spending a lot of quality time at home, alone, with 1-3 kids.

You always hear that you can’t let the “things, or others” rule your life.

Here’s the sad news, it totally does.  That isn’t to mean that I have agressive screaming attacks… but it does mean that when I have a good walk with a friend I feel happier.  When my husband is home I am happier.  When my kids have good behavior I am happier.  When I have something to look forward to, I am happier.

I just don’t see that.

My body is really sore today, my heart is sore and it’s Drew’s last day home for the summer.  I looked at myself and thought I need to make the decision to be happy.  I don’t mean to say that I plan to be happy every day for the rest of my life… but it is to say that I will find some areas in my life that are bright spots.  I know that God is my brightest spot, and with his help I can find other bright spots.

I’m just wondering how you make the decision to be happy… especially when life doesn’t seem to be going your way?  And no, that book has nothing to do with this post.  I’d just like to be more happy.

footer 922 copy

Comments

it’s kind of like choosing to love your husband, despite all your differences. All those things that annoy you are still there, and all those things that you agree to disagree are still there, but you stick it through and grow together line upon line because youre committed to each other.

Yeah, motherhood is dreary, unrewarding, tiresome, lonesome etc, etc, etc…we have to make the decision to be happy and to constantly pray for and relish those moments of happiness. we can learn from them how to better live in that state of happiness. It’s not all gonna hit us at once, it’s a journey.

I’m sure you know all this, chin up babe :-) and yeah, i like walking to froyos or whatever

I hear ya. Finding it hard to find the joy. It’s there, on the surface I know it. Intellectually I know it. It’s just hard to make myself feel it. I could use some happy feelings. I probably need to take a walk and enjoy the awesome weather…

I think a big part of it for me is not looking forward, as odd as that sounds for an organized, slightly manic planner . . . But don’t look forward and focus on all those nights without the husband or all those days full of pain from chronic illness. I just take it one day at a time and focus on getting through that day. I also try to enjoy the little things like walks or a funny blog post. Sometimes I just need to limit my perspective or I get way too overwhelmed and depressed.

On the hard mornings I literally have to just wait a minute in my bed and think, “K, what will I look forward to today”. sounds corny, but I just really have to choose something to help me get out of bed. Sometimes it, “I’ll have time for a nap at 2:15″, or “tonight with Aaron gone I’m going to do one scrapbook page”. It helps kick me into gear and once I’m rolling things fall into place and I find that I’ve survived!

Plan your walks with friends, or plan the time you’ll read that book you’ve been meaning to start. I feel the dread coming on as school approaches, too. Hang in there….just find happy moments to look forward to and then be grateful for.

I go through this at times fo shure! What works for me is to have something positive to look forward to. Big things and little things. I am the queen of small pleasures. You are impressively way more frugal than me…but a good coffee, a shiny magazine, and/or a good book do wonders for me. Also favorite tv shows that I reserve time to watch. As far as big things, I like to plan and dream for an upcoming vacation, holiday or party.

I recently had to do this, too. I was just a big ball of yelling mom all. the. time. I just decided one day that I wasn’t going to do that anymore, that I was going to be happy with my children and be the mom I really want to be.

I’m not perfect, but that was a month ago and I can only think of a couple times I have yelled. On the whole, our lives are a lot happier. When I find I’m getting into a funk, I throw myself into a project I know will make me happy. And also, spending time on the computer sucks happiness out of me, I’ve found. So I’m rarely on it anymore. The only thing I miss is you. :)