I go through each room of our house each week and organize.
- Mondays: Kitchen. I clean out the fridge, wipe down the counters really well, clean the sink, and then I pick a part to organize. This takes about 20 minutes but when it doesn’t happen life pretty well falls apart. Especially the fridget part. As far as the organizing, it’s taking thing out of drawers/cabinets, wiping them down and replacing the items in a more orderly fashion.
- Tuesdays: Bathrooms. I also wash our towels on this day to make it extra handy. Each time I do a basic bathroom cleaning, and then I rotate through a few other tasks — cleaning the tub, shower, deep cleaning the showers (I usually just use an atibacterial wipe), cleaning the mirrors, cleaning the medicine cabinet.
- Wednesdays: Bedrooms. I also vacuum on this day. I rotate through each of the kids helping them to organize their drawers, pull out stuff that’s too small, organize the too small bins. Wednesdays is often the day I work so sometimes this doesn’t get done too well, but it’s not that hard so it’s doable…. I also take this day to organize my own stuff.
- Thursdays: Playroom. This is the day I rotate toys if it’s on the schedule (which is all on astrid), I clean out the toy cabinet, I also tidy up the computer… it’s all on a rotating schedule on the ol’ astrid. And yes, I’m serious.
- Fridays: I clean our office (which usually involves a fair amount of filing) and clean up our living room (which usually isn’t bad thanks to my 10 minute tidy).
- Saturdays: I do the garage, this includes putting stuff away (sometimes stuff just get stuffed out there to be done on Saturdays), going through our food storage, etc. The kids also clean our the car on this day.
So, by having this schedule and rotating through I never feel overwhelmed by the whole house. I just make a mental note that something needs to be organized and it gets done on that room’s day.
This totally works for me. Our house is VERY small and we just can’t have clutter or we have no where to walk. I also feel much more calm in a clean and organized house.