Uh, isn’t this one a challenge! It seems like there are times that money is like water in a colander, you just can’t keep ANY of it. And there are plenty of times that it IS like that. But there are times that you can grab a few drops and save it, right?
I’m so glad that most people are realizing how important and freeing it can be to live on a budget. I thought I’d share ours, just to give you a little glimpse into our lives… I’d LOVE if everyone did a post on their own budgets. It’s hard to figure out if you’re really living as tight as you could be, or if you’re doing OK.
Alright, so we pay our mortgage and our bills, that includes stuff like Internet, utilities, cell phones, etc.
Then, we have a few categories. I used to just give myself like 100 bucks/week but I found that I needed a Costco budget as well as a few other pots to dip out of it when the kids needed new shoes, etc. So, here goes
- We get 80 dollars/week. I get this out each week at the grocery store. So, if groceries cost 40 bucks, I get out another 40 to have in cash. This is the basic money we have to spend all week. Be it on groceries, going out to eat, school pictures, etc.
- I have a 150 dollar Costco budget. Diapers come out of this pot too, and I’m hoping to reduce it to 100 once the little lady is potty trained. Honestly, I have a REALLY hard time staying under this budget as it is. I love me some Costco. I have toyed with eliminating our membership and just shopping at smart and final, but I haven’t gotten that full of willpower yet. I’m really hoping to work better on playing some drugstore games and decreasing this amount in the coming year.
- Gas we get 175 for. We tend to stay under this, unless we make too many trips out of town.
- Dating 100 bucks. This is for sitters, dinner, and 20 bucks for a kid date each month. That leaves me and Drew 80 bucks which we try to spend over 2 dates. I love me a date. Also, if you don’t budget for it, you’re always going to find another reason to use that money. Not for us, dates are essential.
- Clothing and household items each get 50 bucks. I think of this somewhat as a luxury. I tend to get a few new items for each person each month and it seems like our house is alwys in need of new things. I used to include this in our weekly money, but it was hard to have a larger purchase like a new hose for the backyard, etc. Anyway, this works well for us.
- We each get 40 dollars to spend on whatever we want each month. For me, this is usually girls night, or some new accessories, or clothing if I’ve already spend our budget.
Anyway, that’s our family budget. I hope it’s helpful to someone. Again, I’d love to see yours. I know it’s kind of a personal thing but I would love to know how ours compares, or if something has worked better for you. 🙂