Decision, decisions

I hate my living room. I mean, I don’t hate it — but it does look like DI threw-up in my living room and that’s what we have. A used piano, a couch that’s falling apart, an entertainment center we got from my parents neighbor’s garbage, some Downeast Home saves… Seriously, it’s bad. Currently, we have a bit of “wiggle room” so we’ve been trying to figure out what our priorities were. We took the van in for a check-up because a car is a need, and of course Disneyland seems to top the list (I tend to be a person who picks “experiences” over things).
Then, Ikea sends out notice that the furniture we’ve been wanting for about 5 years is 50% off this weekend, so we’re planning on making that purchase.
I start to think how ugly our giant TV is going to look on our fancy new furniture, and how much I hate my couch, so we go to Costco today. We look, and we love the flatscreen TV’s
But then it hits. Do you save, or do you spend?
Make it do, or do without.
How do you make-up your mind to buy, even if you could live with what’s still there (our couch literally has about 20 holes in it, I’ve glued and sewed it together, but it keeps falling apart).
In the end we’re deciding to make do until we find great deals like we’re getting Ikea, and realizing that it doesn’t all have to happen NOW, that it can happen in stages as the money comes available.
It’s just not as fun this way.
I’ve thought about Craigs list, but Drew seems nervous about the whole used thing.
{sigh}

Thanks for visiting pulling curls. Please consider subscribing to my newsletter, circle up on g+, following me on Pinterest or liking me on Facebook.

Comments

I don’t think I’ll get a flat screen tv until ours dies or someone gives us one.

A little at a time is good. Although it would certainly be wonderful to be in a place financially that you could just do it all at once. But it’s okay to wait. :)

We have the same dilemmas. We waited for awesome deals on stuff we really wanted even though our front room sat empty with nothing but a thirty year old piano for 1 1/2 years. Totally worth the wait and the money we saved. We also repainted end tables and the coffee table and they look awesome! Next, I might just hang something on the walls, but not until this baby is born!

I’m telling you….you find some amazing stuff on Craigslist. You just sometimes have to be patient. We got our $1100 couch for $200 just cause the guy was moving cross country and didn’t want to haul a sectional. He would just buy a new one when he got there. Just sayin….

4. Sharon says

I agree, CL is the best. I am so happy with the couches we bought. Same deal, someone moving. And we got sofa and love seat for less than the price of 1 of them. Browsing the listings can give you a good idea of what’s there. You have to be discerning and look through a lot of junky stuff, but the good stuff is there too. Just be sure you know someone with a truck :)

I don’t know if I’d go with CL for a television, though. I’d rather get one with the warranty intact. My suggestion–wait until Black Friday, then get one for cheap new. That’s only 4 months off–not too bad. Or, if you’d like, I can keep an eye out for good sales. What size are you looking at?

Props to you, I know decisions like that aren’t easy to make in the moment. How great that you are getting an updated living room though!