Flintstone Costumes are an easy, fun way to celebrate as a family. EASY tips to make the BEST flintstones! We have have Fred to Pebbles covered!
The Flintstones costumes are so bright and colorful. Drew’s is actually one of my favorites. They are SUPER easy to make, and fairly cheap — especially if you can find fleece on sale. Let’s go!
All of the costumes have the same basic technique — shown on the left. Measure the person shoulder to shoulder, I also measured around the largest part of them (not as important for my kids, because they are beanpoles, but important for me as my buns are larger than my shoulders). Use that measurement to cut out giant rectangles (the top of the rectangle would be the shoulder measurement plus 2″, or 1/2 of your hip measurement plus 2″), the length of the rectangle, will just be how long you want it to be. I let my kids have input as to how long they want it. I didn’t cut any “swoop” to the neck until I finished it. I don’t think I cut a “swoop” on most of them. Take note that you’re just leaveing holes for their arms and legs. Here’s specifics for each character.
Make the rectangle out of orange. I cut triangles out of black fleece and sewed them on (but you could easily use fabric glue instead). For the tie… First I measuerd how long I thought I would want it on Drew’s frame (asking him also) and cut out the diamond tie shape. Then, I sewed right sides together of the tie shape, turned it out and sewed it closed. I then made a triangle for the to and sewed that onto the tie part. I made strips of fleece, sewed the whole tie onto that, and then sewed velcro on the edges of the fleece strips. I zig-zagged cut the bottom of the orange so it was more “raggidy” Done.
I took off a triangle of the giant rectangle (as sewn above). I found a white belt, and a giant necklace. I made the bottom “raggidty” — done.
This one is the most different. I made him a skirt by measuring his waist, and having him decide how long he wanted it. I rolled the top and ran Elastic through that the size of his waist (I measured his waist ahead of time, and took off an inch — and cut the elastic to that size). I made a bone (sew a bone shape, right sides together, then turn it out so the seams are on the inside and then stuff it with batting and sew to close). I did a strip of brown fleece, sewed it together (long enough to go waist to waist, crossing over the shoulder. I sewed that onto his skirt and threated the bone through some slits I cut. I ended-up buying an orange hat off Amazon (we had looked for one at Goodwill with no luck). I glued on black triangles and a made a puffball out of yarn to go on top. I also got him a little club on Amazon.
Similar to Fred, just CRAZY easy. Could also be used for a caveman costume. Easy peasy on that one!
I made it like Fred’s, and added some leggings. I made her a bone to go in her hair, but back when we did this, she had SO little hair, it was hard to keep in. I wish I had just done it on a headband or something. On this one, I did end-up needing to make a closure for he head to fit through (she was 1 at the time, and her head was still pretty big, compared to her body). I just cut a slit in the back and added a velcro closure (I always sew velcro on fleece, never the sticky kind, I don’t think it works).
Bonus Dino Instructions.
Ok, the main thing I remember about Dino is that he was a pain. I cut him, as shown on the right. I then sewed him, right sides together, and turned him out. I filled him with a fair amount of stuffing and then cut his other pieces and glued them on. That was painful, and hard to get even. I then to a dowel, covered the end with a few rags, which I hot glued and sewed down (so they wouldn’t fall off, and woudln’t come poking through Dino’s head). I made sure that Dinos’ head was WELL stuffed at that point, and added the dowel up to the part where it starts to curve. I added more stuffing around the dowel until Dino was firm (he may have up to 3 bags of stuffing in him, he’s pretty firm). Make sure to leave enough room to gather the edges at the bottom. I ran a basting stitch around the bottom (in purple, as this will show) and gathered it up. I stuffed in as much stuffing as I could before pulling it all the way closed. I then hot glued around this like crazy. Frankly, I’m shocked it’s still around and looking ok — but it is. I think one of the main reason it doesn’t slip much is that I had hot glued rags down to about that area, so with the firm gather and the rags it doesn’t have much room to scoot around.
Anyway, the Flintsones Costumes can be fun for a whole family. Pretty darn easy and fairly recognizable. I hope this was helpful!
Be sure to check out all my Halloween Costume tutorials!
Check out my other costumes: