Why do I store food?
Honestly, I just can’t STAND to be out of stuff. It’s more of an OCD thing, then a Mormon thing — although it may just come with the territory. We haven’t even talked about the refrigerated/frozen things I store (but I am willing to if you want).
How do I store food?
As you can see, I have a large (although not very deep) pantry here in Arizona, but I only had 1200 square feet in California and I still made do, with the help of our garage — we can’t store ANY food in our garage here. I also tend to tuck #10 cans of my long term storage (think more emergency then anything else) under our guest bed, and in some cabinets that are almost impossible to get to.
Tips for storage
- Make it like a grocery store. You’ll see cans stored in rows, and when I get new cans I pull all the old ones out.
- I go through my pantry once a year (it is part of my Monday kitchen organizing routine), I clean off the shelves, and I make sure the oldest stuff is in the back and the items that should be used first are at the front. I do throw things away, and make mental notes of things I don’t need to be buying as much of.
- I don’t label. I really want to, but it’s pretty obvious where stuff goes, and it does fluctuate.
- I prefer to buy a bunch of one item (like chili, for instance) then just 2 or 3 at a time, just because it’s hard to rotate the stock. I know those can organizers look like they’d be great, and I think they would be if you had an unfinished basement, but we don’t. This way works for me, and it’s a LOT cheaper
- I put some shelf paper up, I’m not sure I am glad I did. As a friend told me, she’d rather re-paint then put up shelf paper again. I think she’s right (we have painted shelves, I think that might be different if you had wood shelves, or something like that).
- DO NOT GO INTO DEBT FOR FOOD STORAGE. That’s just ludicrous.
- Don’t do what I do. My system works for me, because it’s what we eat, you need to figure out what works for you. My OCD comes in handy to save us money on this and I am somehow able to remember prices of stuff pretty easily, but that may not be you, so give yourself a break!