So, last TMI tuesday I had the hope of an earache entry. And excitingly enough I had one that I already ran, here it is — I will put a few more of my more-recent thoughts at the bottom:
Earache entry originally published on 11/10/09
Ahhh, the one thing that brings me into the doctor with my kids (besides well-checks) the ear-ache.
Signs of ear infections
- For babies it tends to be crying while they’re eating their bottle (they’ll suck for a minute, and then the pressure changes in their ears so it’s painful, esp. if they’re more flat)
- Crying after you lay them down (like they’re hurting, not just like they’re tired)
- Runny nose, boogery eyes.
- In older children it’s obviously them saying their ears hurt.
If it’s more than just at bedtime I usually take them into the doctor. Back in “my day” they used to give antibiotics for any ear infection, but they are finding that more and more are viruses and they want to wait it out and see if it gets worse or gets better.
For me, the need for antibiotics would depend on a few factors:
1. How painful it is, if they aren’t willing to give antibiotics, can you get a drop for pain in the ear? If the child’s screaming in pain I would most likely just start an antibiotic. If you really want an antibiotic, let your doctor know… but be prepared to hear him/her out… antibiotics are not a cure all.
If you want to do it yourself, you can look here for my favorite otoscope.
Want to find more joy?
Pulling Curls is a blog for the overwhelmed to find more joy. Be it a laugh in something I share or tips for everyday life. Don't miss out!