The bedroom is a special place. We looked at homes and they had HUGE bedrooms, and I asked myself if I want such a large space devoted to an area I spend SO little time in. Honestly, I sometimes run through my bedroom to use the restroom, but in reality I mostly just “retire” to my bedroom at night when I truly need some peace after a long day. On Wednesdays I focus on bedroom cleaning so it can become a place that I enjoy and find peace in.
Did you know it’s taken me 37 years to figure out how to spell vacuum.
Wednesdays are about bedrooms, and since our bedrooms are all carpeted, I vacuum that day too
Vacuum — I just have your basic vacuum. A fancy vacuum we had died, so I took to the repair shop and he said it was just dead. He recommended just a basic vacuum, very few bells and whistles (you can attach a hose and it has a few parts). It has a bag (which I enjoy taking out, it’s nice to dump it all over my trash and then get to re-vacuum around my trash). It’s big and yellow.
|shirt filing — this is how they look
in my drawer
this was literally on my instagram feed.
Rotating jobs (this is the time to organize the bedrooms — and each of these is done every 6 weeks and comes-up in my tick-tick to do list on my phone/tablet)
- Paige’s dresser
- Spencer’s drawers (the boys organize their own drawers with my supervision, this is a time to pull out items that are too small and put them in a bin to hand down as well as to see if there are clothes they need and basically to make sure their dresser doesn’t look like it’s vomiting clothes — they hate this job, I wish they’d just keep it clean)
- Conner’s drawers
- Organize master closet (pull out things that I don’t wear or put stuff in the right “section” – and I’d say “section” pretty loosely)
- Organize my drawers (because I sometimes have similar problems as the boys — but I started doing shirt filing, and boy oh boy has that made my shirt drawer a dream!). You can find out more info on shirt filing here.
- Every 3 weeks I flip or rotate our couch cushions, and if I’m feeling extra exuberant I vacuum it out. We didn’t do this on an old couch we had and it wore so badly, i’m adamant we do it with this one!
- Wash my bras
- Wash the bathmats (not done weekly, each bathroom is on a schedule depending on how dirty they get — I’ll let you guess whose gets the dirtiest!)
- Conner vacuums the playroom
- Spencer vacuums their room (the boys share a room)
- Paige vacuums the tiny area between her dresser and under the window — we’re working on it)
On Wednesdays when I have time I try to work on my family video (I do a video every year that puts all our video clips as well as photos to music, it’s a favorite, and it keeps those things organized too so we can enjoy them!). Wednesdays is also early out so I’m often just trying to make it through the afternoon with no bloodshed. Darn you early out!
*My hope is that this weekly cleaning schedule might inspire you to make your own. I know my own OCD schedule won’t work for everyone, but I really think that cleaning schedules helps you stay on top of your life without being overwhelmed with all of you have to do. You can read more about weekly cleaning here.
Check out all my other weekly cleaning posts:
And check out ALL my cleaning posts here: