I bet you know the feeling (although I hope you don’t). The feeling when you notie that you somehow missed a payment on a bill. I hate it. I just feel sick inside, and that late fee on top of it is like a knife to my heart. I’m grateful I don’t have that feeling very often, because I have a good system for to organize bills.
- Point out to kids how important it is that ALL the mail get to your mail spot. if my kids get the mail they usually put anything that isn’t addressed to them (basically, everything) on my desk. That makes it so mail isn’t strewn all over the house with them. The times that we have had a late payment, it is often due to them being mis-placed.
- Have a specific spot where the bills go. I have a little letter sorter by my desk where the bills hang out until….
- Have a specific day/time that you pay bills. For me, I do it either on Friday night (because I’m popular like that) or on Saturday mornings.
- Pay bills online. It makes it SO much easier, and you are less likely to forget to mail your payments. Plus, you can schedule to have them taken out of your account right when it is due, vs when you pay it. No reason to put off bill payment!
One tip for me is to make sure I PAY the bill first. Before I enter it in my register or throw it away… or, get distracted by the next shiny thing. I, obviously, have a problem with that. When I sit down to pay I need to PAY it. Boom. #efficient
So, here’s my challenge to you:
- Find a spot to ALWAYS put the bills (and JUST the bills — no other mail should reside there).
- Get registered with online bill pay. familiarize yourself with your system
- BONUS CHALLENGE: Set-up reminders to REMIND you to pay those bills that are monthly or quarterly. That wya you REALLY won’t have a late fee since it will remind you when you log in and email you. Total in.
Heavens knowss I love organizing but this is REALLY an area that you cna make a HUGE difference with. Less late fees, no more ugly feelings when you see your missed payments. THAT alone is worth the effort.
This is part of my Organized Home series, check out that page for tons of information on organizing all areas of your home!
If you liked this post, be sure to sign up for my organization/cleaning newsletter. And check out all my other organization posts below that.
Like This Post?
Stay in touch with Pulling Curls by signing up for our newsletter. Get JUST the information you want, sent direct to you!